Welcome to the LAYC Career Academy job application process!
(Note: All positions will remain open until filled.)
Positions Available.To apply and for more informaton click here
Student Recruitment SpecialistSchool Description:
LAYC Career Academy sets high expectations for disconnected youth, 16-24 years of age, by providing a college preparatory GED curriculum and the opportunity to gain college credits before graduation. The school is built upon the central beliefs that:
- All youth can and must obtain either a college degree or industry-recognized credential.
- Students grow by recognizing their own strengths, using them to overcome obstacles, and setting and achieving ambitious academic and career goals.
- Disconnected youth will succeed academically and personally with the help of high-quality, culturally appropriate education and support services.
The LAYC Career Academy (LAYCCA) Student Recruitment Specialist ensures that as many youth as possible benefit from an education at the school throughout the academic year. The Recruitment Specialist is responsible for developing strong relationships with prospective students, helping them understand the school in-depth, and ensuring that they feel welcome and prepared to join the school community. The Specialist accomplishes this goal by first connecting with prospective students through partnering organizations, street outreach, school and public events, and social media. The Specialist then guides prospective students through our enrollment process with frequent communication and support.
Reports to: The Student Recruitment Specialist will report to the Executive Director. She/he will work closely with teachers, students and the operations and enrollment team on a regular basis.
1. Build referral partnerships with local service organizations, governmental offices, and schools.
2. Recruit prospective students
a) Implement street outreach through training student recruiters, gathering materials, and leading outreach teams in the field
b) Attend public events and school fairs
c) Manage LAYCCA’s social media and other outlets for outreach to prospective students
d) Plan events and other tactics to encourage current students to refer prospective students
3. Host student tours
4. Coordinate and implement interviews and testing for prospective students
5. Track and coordinate student recruitment process, including calling and facilitating meetings with internal LAYCCA staff, and tracking incoming documents.
6. Other duties as assigned
- Outgoing, warm, and comfortable with talking to new people in public settings
- Able to forge strong relationships with older youth from diverse backgrounds
- Organized and detail-oriented in managing data and documents
- Comfortable working independently
- Proficient with social media
- Event planning experience is a plus
- Familiarity working with schools and/or districts a plus
- Must be highly flexible
- BS/BA required and/ or a minimum of 3 years work experience in a related field.
- Mission driven
- Bilingual: English and Spanish is required